Additional cooling stations in Clark County will be open to the public in an effort to move the homeless and other individuals out of the heat and keep them hydrated.
The cooling stations are in addition to the Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition’s Inclement Weather Shelter Program, which provides daytime shelter every day during the summer at the following locations:
- Catholic Charities, 1511 N. Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (For men only.)
- The Salvation Army, 31 W. Owens Ave., North Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (For adults only.)
- The Shade Tree, 1 W. Owens Ave., North Las Vegas, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (For women and children only.)
The following locations will also be open as cooling stations today and Wednesday:
- Cambridge Recreation Center, 3930 Cambridge St., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Dula Gymnasium, 441 E. Bonanza Road, Las Vegas, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Hollywood Recreation Center, 1650 S. Hollywood Blvd., Las Vegas, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Islamic Society of Nevada, 4730 E. Desert Inn Road, Las Vegas, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Stupak Community Center, 251 W. Boston Ave., Las Vegas, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Walnut Recreation Center, 3075 N. Walnut Ave., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Pearson Community Center, 1625 W. Carey Ave., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Valley View Recreation Center, 500 Harris St. (at Basic Road), Henderson, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Black Mountain Recreation Center, 599 Greenway Road (at East Horizon Drive), Henderson, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Colorado River Food Bank, 240 Laughlin Civic Drive, Laughlin, 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Richard Springston American Legion building, 1510 Bruce Woodbury Drive, Laughlin, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Anyone may dial 2-1-1 from any phone to find the nearest cooling station, or visit www.HelpHopeHome.org
The public is encouraged to avoid heat-related problems by drinking more water than usual and seeking shade or cool areas during the day. Children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles. Symptoms of heat exhaustion include heavy sweating, paleness, muscle cramps and dizziness.