LAS VEGAS -- The cold weather predicted for this week is prompting the opening of warming stations for the public on Thursday, Dec. 5, and Friday, Dec. 6, in an effort to move the homeless and other individuals out of the cold weather.
The warming stations are in addition to the Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition’s Inclement Weather Shelter Program, which provides overnight shelters from November until late March.
Also, The Salvation Army provides a daytime shelter throughout the year from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily at 33 W. Owens Ave. (near Stocker Street), North Las Vegas. Click this link for a list of locations which will be open Thursday and Friday
Overnight shelter remain available at the following locations:
- Black Mountain Recreation Center, 599 Greenway Road (at E. Horizon Drive), Henderson, 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Cambridge Recreation Center, 3930 Cambridge St., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Dr. William U. Pearson Community Center, 1625 W. Carey Ave., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Dula Gymnasium, 441 E. Bonanza Road, Las Vegas, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday.
- Hollywood Recreation Center, 1650 S. Hollywood Boulevard, Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Islamic Society of Nevada, 4730 E. Desert Inn Road (near Boulder Highway), Las Vegas, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Stupak Community Center, 251 W. Boston Ave., Las Vegas, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Valley View Recreation Center, 500 Harris St. (at Basic Road), Henderson, 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Walnut Recreation Center, 3075 N. Walnut Ave., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Catholic Charities, 1511 N. Las Vegas Boulevard (near Foremaster Lane), Las Vegas, for men.
- The Salvation Army, 33 West Owens Ave. (near Stocker Street), North Las Vegas, for men and women.
- The Shade Tree, 1 West Owens Ave. (near Main Street), North Las Vegas, for women and children.
Anyone may dial 2-1-1 from any phone to find the nearest warming station, or visit www.HelpHopeHome.org