Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

Clark County accepting bids for old downtown courthouse

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 8/23/2013 1:27 pm
LAS VEGAS — Written bids of $10 million or more are being accepted for Clark County’s old courthouse, 200 S. Third St., in the center of rapidly revitalizing downtown.

Interested buyers have until 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1, to submit written bids at the purchasing desk of the County’s Real Property Management Department on the 4th floor of the Clark County Government Center, 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy.

The property will then be sold at a live public auction starting at 10 a.m. Oct. 1 during a County Commission meeting when bids will be opened, verbal bids will be received and the highest winning bidder will be announced. The starting price for bidding was set based on an appraisal of the property this spring.

“There has been a lot of interest expressed about this property,” said Clark County Commissioner Lawrence Weekly, whose District D includes the courthouse. “It’s in a prime location and I am really excited about what the future holds for this property and our community.”

The existing building is seven stories tall with 315,180 square feet including the parking garage and common areas. It’s located on 2.76 acres of land bordered by Third Street on the east, Casino Center Boulevard on the west, and Carson and Bridger Avenues to the north and south. The property has been vacant since 2005 when the construction of the Regional Justice Center at 200 Lewis Ave. was complete and courthouse operations moved to the new complex.

The site has been part of downtown’s history since 1905 when Union Pacific Railroad (then known as the Las Vegas Land and Water Company) dedicated the land for use as a County courthouse and jail and a city of Las Vegas public library and city hall. The first “temporary” courthouse opened on the site as a simple block structure in July 1909. The building was then divided, with half being used as a public library and the other half as a temporary City Hall.

A more imposing courthouse was built in 1914 on the site. It was designed by notable, Nevada-born architect Frederick DeLongchamps. The existing building opened in 1960. It was designed by Las Vegas architects Walter Zick and Harris Sharp.

The county spends about $140,000 a year to maintain the property.

— From news release


Share

Slideshows

Popular Right Now:
Ousted teacher found dead in Henderson jail

Updated: 10/21/2014 5:13:00 PM

John Mannion, a fired Clark County high school teacher and football coach was found dead Oct. 19 in the Henderson Detention Center of an apparent suicide.
Two men accused of rape at MGM properties 

Updated: 10/20/2014 10:42:36 PM

Poll


All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at publicfilehelp@mynews3.com

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2014 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media

FOLLOW US!


Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.