LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- A carelessly discarded cigarette was to blame for a fire displaced a family of eight at 5464 Escondido Street, near Russell Boulevard and Maryland Parkway.
The Clark County Fire Department received a call of a grass fire in front of the house just before 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
Within a few minutes, multiple calls came in reporting that the high winds had fanned the small grass fire out of control and that the house was now on fire.
Upon arrival of the first fire engine the side of the house and the attic were both heavily involved in fire. All occupants were out of the structure prior to the arrival of the first fire crews.
Firefighters began an aggressive attack with multiple hose lines from within the structure. As the high winds continued to fan the fire, other firefighters got on top of the house to cut holes in roof, letting the fire vent out of the attic space like a chimney.
It took approximately 20 minutes for the firefighter’s effort to pay off in the form of a knockdown.
Due to the heavy fire and the high afternoon temperatures additional fire crews were called to the scene to assist.
A total of 42 personnel responded from both the Clark County Fire Department and the Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.
There were no injuries as a result of this incident. Fire Investigators from the Clark County Fire Department’s Fire Investigation Division conducted on-scene interviews and determined the fire to be accidental in nature.
The American Red Cross was responded to assist those family members. Damage estimates for the home are at $85,000.
-- From news release