LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3.com) -- A young child playing with a lighter in a bedroom started a mattress fire Friday evening in an apartment in the northwest part of the valley, according to Las Vegas firefighters.
At least one adult and two children were displaced because of the fire at Town Center Apartments at 9145 Echelon Point Drive.
Fire dispatchers received several reports of thick, black smoke coming out of an upstairs apartment.
When firefighters arrived, they saw heavy flames coming out of the window. They were told that all occupants were out of the residence and it took just a few minutes for them to get the fire under control in the wood and stucco eight-unit dwelling.
No other apartments were damaged. The damage was estimated at $50,000 as the apartment sustained significant damage. The fire was ruled accidental.