LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) – A fire in a home suspected of being used by squatters caused $100,000 in damage Tuesday night in the area of Sahara and Arville.
Tim Szymanski of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue reports that firefighters from Las Vegas and Clark County responded just after 9:45 p.m. to the home in the 2500 block of Las Verdes Street. On arrival heavy flames and smoke was showing from the one-story, wood-frame house.
Because of the intensity of the fire, firefighters had to attack from the outside for a few minutes. After it was brought under control, firefighters extinguished the fire inside the house.
Neighbors told firefighters and fire investigators the house has been vacant and boarded up for more than a year. There are no utilities connected to it. It appeared the house was secured.
Once firefighters was able to get inside they found the house was heavily damaged and full of trash and debris from squatters staying inside the house. Neighbors said people were seen going in and leaving the house frequently.
A cat died in the fire.