LAS VEGAS (KSNV MYNews3.com) -- One person was treated for smoke inhalation, four people were displaced and a cat died after a house firm early Sunday in the northwest part of the valley.
Las Vegas Fire & Rescue firefighters responded shortly after 1 a.m. at 9169 W. Dorrell Lane (Elkhorn & Fort Apache) to reports of a fire on the second floor of a home.
One of the occupants told firefighters that a sofa was burning on a loft and they believed candles started the fire. One of the residents attempted to put out the fire with a garden hose but was unsuccessful.
Firefighetrs found heavy smoke on the second floor and the sofa on fire. The fire was extinguished in less than a minute while it took several minutes to evacuate the smoke. Once the smoke was cleared they found the dead cat.
The damage was estimated at $20,000 and was confined to the loft area.
Two adults and two teenagers were displaced because of the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.