LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- Former patients of the University Medical Center trauma center say they are grateful to be alive.
Today, they had the chance to say thank you to the people who stepped in when they were near death and saved their lives.
News 3's Marissa Mike was at the emotional reunion.
You wouldn't know it when you see him, but first-grader Vladimir Borowitz has been through so much.
Beneath his shirt, he shows the scars of a terrible accident.
"Burns... once I got to UMC it wasn't hurting, until I got my wounds clean then it really hurted," he said.
Vladimir Borowitz escaped death after catching fire playing with an aerosol spray near a candle when he was five.
Sometimes it's too tough to talk about for the seven-year-old, but his parents remember it like it was yesterday.
"He got burned by a candle and an aerosol spray," said his mother Gina Borowitz. "The spray caught hold of the flame and he got burned."
Vladmir suffered second and third degree burns.
“I saw burned flesh from his bellybutton to his neck.,” said Gina Borowitz.
Despite the Vladimir's bad condition when he got to UMC, his parents credit the good care and concern shown by UMC staffers who played key roles in his recovery.
"Words can't describe how I feel for the staff," Gina Borowitz said. "They are great."
The Borowitz family, one of many in a room filled with other former UMC patients who survived trauma, gathered to show their appreciation for the UMC staff who saved their lives.
Dr. Terry lewis, the UMC trauma surgeon who helped Vladimir through by tending to deep flesh wounds. Now he was sitting right next to his former patient and both smiling in each other's company.
"A job is a job, but when you're allowed to participate in the care for people, it's a fun thing to see. That's the reward that brings us all here,” said Dr. Terry Lewis.
Vladimir has his whole life ahead of him. His parents, encouraging him to live life to the fullest. He started jujitsu this spring.
"Now I can defend myself if my house gets robbed," Vladimir Borowitz said.
His father, holding back tears, had advice for other parents.
"Don't look at what you don't have be thankful for what you do," said Paul Borowitz.