LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3.com) – A Clark County grand jury this morning indicted a doctor accused of sexual assault of a victim older than 60.
About 30 supporters were in the courtroom for Dr. Mane Shah, who also faces a felony count of attempted sexual assault and two gross misdemeanor counts of open or gross lewdness.
Defense attorney Richard Schonfeld described Shah as a “tireless and purposeful physician” with no criminal past, but Clark County Deputy District Attorney Michelle Fleck said that “sometimes decent people commit despicable acts all the time.” She asked for a $100,000 bail and surrender of his passport.
Judge Linda Bell agreed to the passport surrender but set bail at $25,000. His next court hearing is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Oct. 2.
Also indicted today:
Brian Beltran, 38, on one count of murder with use of a deadly weapon; and carrying a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon. Beltran is accused of killing Kenneth Mallet, 23, of Las Vegas in late June. Beltran was apprehended in Fresno, Calif.
Emilio Jacob Ruvalcaba, 30, and Carlos Saenz III, 27, on five counts in relation to an attack on a limousine driver who prosecutors say was brutally attacked. The district attorney’s office said the suspects identified themselves as members of the Mexican mafia and told the victim that they would kill her and hide her body.
Bail was set at $1 million each. Their next court appearance will be at 9 a.m. Oct. 1.
Maurice Harvey, 18, was added to the indictment with Katario Miller, 18, and Nicholas Johnson, 18, in relation to an attack on students at Canyon Springs High School in August.
Bail was set at $150,000 for Harvey. Deputy District Attorney Megan Thomson said that while all the suspects were liable, Harvey was the one that brought the firearm to school.
Bail of $116,000 previously was set for Miller and Johnson. Their next court appearance is set for 9 a.m. Oct. 2.