LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) – A Las Vegas couple filed a lawsuit today against Firefly Tapas Kitchen & Bar, claiming they were among the nearly 90 people who were sickened with salmonella at the popular restaurant that has been closed for a week.
Tzahi and Julia Salomon say in the lawsuit that they went to Firefly on April 23 with his brother, Avi, who was visiting from Israel along with three other friends. The suit says they consumed sangria, mojitos and a number of different foods that were prepared and served by Firefly staffers that were contaminated with salmonella.
“As a result of exposure to the Salmonella bacteria, the plaintiffs both became ill with a Salmonella infection,” the suit states. “Tzahi started feeling ill late Wednesday, April 24, 2013, and Thursday had to go to the emergency room, suffering from high fever, heartburn, stomach pain, diarrhea and muscle cramps. Julie also suffered a very strong headache, nausea and diarrhea. Neither plaintiff has yet recovered.”
The lawsuit does not specify what amount of damages the Salomons seek, but rather asks the court to decide the amount.
The Salmons are being represented by William D. Marler of the Seattle law firm of Marler Clark, which has specialized in food poisoning litigation, and Las Vegas lawyer Craig Murphy.
Firefly was closed April 26 by the Southern Nevada Health District when it failed an inspection that day.
The owner, John Simmons, has been cooperating with SNHD officials in their investigation. The restaurant was ordered to retrain the kitchen staff and undergo another inspection before it can be re-opened.
Two other Firefly locations have passed Health District inspections and have remained open.
More lawsuits are expected to be filed in connection to what is being called the worst salmonella outbreak in a decade in the Las Vegas valley.