LAS VEGAS -- Firefighters from Las Vegas and Clark County responded to the Siegel Suites Paradise apartments early Friday morning for a fire in a one-bedroom apartment.
The occupant of the apartment was taken to the hospital and will be charge with one count of arson in the first degree.
Metro Police received calls just after 5 a.m. that someone on the third floor of the apartment building was breaking windows and throwing things out of the window. When police arrived on scene, smoke was seen coming from one of the apartments. Fire personnel were notified at 5:22 a.m. and responded to the complex at 2000 Paradise Road. On arrival light smoke was coming from one apartment.
When firefighters arrived at the apartment, they found a fire on the stove which had been extinguished by an automatic fire sprinkler. The apartment building was evacuated during the incident as a precaution, once it was determined the fire was completely out, residents were able to return to their apartments.
Fire investigators determined the fire on the stove was from clothing that was set on the stove and then the stove turned on by the occupant of the apartment.
The man who lives in the apartment was taken into custody by Metro Police and transported to the hospital for observation. Fire investigators said that he will be charged with one count of arson in the first degree.
Damage was confined to the stove top. Damage was estimated at $500. Two apartments directly below on the first and second floors had minor water damage from the fire sprinkler.
There were no other injuries reported during the incident.
-- From news release