LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) -- Nearly every time there's a fire in the city of Las Vegas, newsrooms hear from Department Spokesman Tim Szymanski.
Today was no different -- except the home he was talking about was his own.
Neighbors who were standing outside in the 1600 block of Desert Canyon Court heard his smoke alarms go off, just minutes after Szymanski left his home.
Soon, black smoke started coming from the roof area.
The fire started in the upstairs bathroom exhaust fan and then quickly spread to the wood in the attic.
Szymanski told us he's vigilant about fire safety in his home, but sometimes these things happen.
“There's probably no one that tries harder to prevent fires in their home than myself and my wife,” he said. “We check everything. We do change those fans out on a routine basis because we have seen a lot of those catch fire in other homes, but it just shows even when you try as hard as you do, accidents do happen.”
Neither Szymanski nor his wife were home, and their pets were able to get out through pet doors.
He said the fire caused about $50,000 in damages, so they will be living elsewhere for a short time while things are fixed.