Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

911 calls give account of Henderson SWAT car bursting into flames

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 3/08/2013 10:31 pm

HENDERSON (KSNV MyNews3) -- Tonight, we're getting a clearer picture of what happened when a SWAT officer's undercover unit caught fire last week. 911 tapes that include a call from the officer himself highlight the level of danger.

According to the first 911 caller, SWAT Officer Justin Sima was driving his undercover SUV while it was nearly in flames. The $50,000 ride was destroyed. The fire got big enough for the caller to call 911 twice, concerned about it spreading. That same person accused the officer of possibly being drunk behind the wheel.


A police department spokesman told us they have no reason to believe drugs or alcohol played a role in what happened.

Officer Simo himself also called 911.

“My vehicle is on fire right now,” Simo said in the 911 call. “Something just exploded. It's a police car so there's rounds and everything in there, there's bullets in there and everything else.”

No one was hurt in the fire, although it left neighbors like Tony Berti shaken up.

“Cou can hear popping noises, big flames. The flames initially were coming out from under the hood and outside, just barely inside the cab,” Berti said. “By the time the fire department got here, almost the entire vehicle had burst into flames.”

Simo has since been suspended with pay as Henderson police conduct an internal investigation.

Simo is a Henderson Police Department veteran, who was honored by the deparment with an award for valorous conduct in 2011. The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3848 in Henderson also awarded him with an Officer of the Year recognition that same year.

It's common for SWAT officers to take their vehicles home. Before the incident, the City of Henderson had 16 vehicles like Simo’s. The number of vehicles helps with response times, since SWAT officers need to be ready to roll at any time.

Share

Slideshows

Popular Right Now:
Cosby, TI agree to cancel upcoming shows

Updated: 11/21/2014 8:26:56 AM

	 FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2013 file photo, actor-comedian Bill Cosby poses for a portrait in New York. NBC announced Wednesday, Nov. 19, that it has canceled plans for a family comedy starring Bill Cosby.   (Photo by Victoria Will/Invision/AP, File)
Poll


All content © Copyright 2014 Chesapeake Media I, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at publicfilehelp@mynews3.com

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2014 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media

FOLLOW US!


Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.