HAGERSTOWN, Md. (AP) — The parents of a 14-year-old Hagerstown girl who died in December are suing the maker of Monster Energy Drink, claiming caffeine in the product contributed to her death.
The complaint was filed Friday in California Superior Court in Riverside. It says Anais Fournier went into cardiac arrest after drinking two, 24-ounce Monster Beverage Corp. drinks within a 24-hour period.
Monster is based in Corona, Calif.
An autopsy found that Fournier died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity that impeded her heart's ability to pump blood. She suffered from an inherited disorder that can weaken blood vessels.
Monster says it doesn't believe its beverages are responsible for Fournier's death. The company says it's not aware of any fatalities caused by its drinks. Monster says it will vigorously fight the lawsuit.
©2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.