LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) -- Plumber T.J. Zupancic has been working non-stop with more frozen pipes at another home, and underneath all this improper wrapping was a mess of ice, just as he expected.
“We've had several calls today,” he said. “It's been an all-day thing, and it will probably for the rest of the week while we have all this freezing.
Yes! Air Conditioning and Plumbing general manager Dennis Thompson says it’s very important to insulate any exposed pipes outside.
“Typically a hardware store will have this type of insulation that will go outside of the pipes to where you can wrap it and so that you can keep your pipes solid and protect it from the cold weather,” he said.
Also tape the joints to keep cold air from getting to the pipes.
Outdoor spickets can be protected with something as simple as a towel, and towels are also handy to keep out cold air.
While many are trying to stay warm and avoid frozen pipes, temporary heating appliances pose another danger. A couple of months ago a space heater caused a local fire.
Tim Szymanski of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue keep them 3 feet away from everything, never use them with an extension cord, and use them in short spurts or the wire will get too hot.
So whether it's fire or ice, take a moment to save yourself from an emergency during this cold spell.