LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- Seven months after a fire ripped through the old Key Largo Hotel & Casino the property remains an eyesore along west Flamingo.
Today News 3 learned it could be there a few more months.
The new date for total knockdown is February 28 and the reason it's taken so long is pretty simple. It's all about safety and asbestos removal.
The casino portion and the porte cochere are now gone. That posed somewhat of a threat, and had to be handled quickly but the rest of the buildings are set back from the street so the public is not in any danger.
The Key Largo burned March 28. Investigators say it was arson, and the total damage was $4.5 million.
Director of Building & Fire Prevention Ron Lynn says while our recent wind has cost demolition crews a few days, they're still on track.
“Demolition is one of the most dangerous components of a construction process. Often more people get injured in demolition because you have debris -- broken glass, steel, concrete scattered about then in any other phase of construction,” Lynn said.
The Key Largo shut down in 2005 and has been abandoned for years after a condo project for the property fell through. So far no arrests have been made for the arson fire, although the case remains under investigations.