Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

Two arrested after kidnapped Henderson teen rescued

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 9/01/2012 3:37 pm
HENDERSON (KSNV -- A 17-year-old girl abducted Friday from her Henderson home has been rescued unharmed, and two suspects have been arrested.

Melissa Duran was found unharmed about 4:20 this morning in an apartment at a Flower Avenue complex near Stewart and Eastern avenues in Las Vegas.

Arrested were Las Vegas residents Alejandro Manuel Sanchez-Sanchez, 25, and Cesar Sanchez, 30. They are charged with kidnapping, extortion, conspiracy to commit kidnapping and conspiracy to commit extortion. They are being held at the Henderson Detention Center without bail.

Henderson detectives said they believe the suspects had some type of connection to the victim's father's landscaping business. That possible connection is under investigation.

"We are thankful that the quick and effective actions of the Henderson Police Department were able to reunite Melissa safely with her family," Police Chief Patrick Moers said in a statement. "I would also like to praise the strength of the Duran family for assisting us throughout this horrible event."

SWAT officers entered an apartment and discovered one of the suspects when they rescued Duran this morning. Henderson police spokesman Keith Paul said. The other suspect was found in another apartment in the complex.

Police said the kidnapping occurred when two men knocked on the door of the family home around 7:30 a.m. Friday in the 300 block of Esquina Drive near the intersection of Warm Springs Road and Arroyo Grande Boulevard. Duran, a senior at Green Valley High School who had been getting ready for class, was grabbed when she answered the door.

The suspects fled the scene in a red, late-model, two-door passenger car with a blue fender on the front passenger side. Her mother was seen by neighbors as she screamed in Spanish and was calling 911.

Henderson police say her parents received two calls later demanding money for her return. Some media reports put the amount at $150,000, but police would not confirm the details.

A picture of the getaway car was captured on a security camera by one of Duran's neighbors and was widely broadcast on a statewide Amber Alert issued shortly after the abduction.

The car was later found burned near Sunrise Mountain. Police said it appeared the car had been burned in an attempt to destroy evidence, but detectives were able to trace the car to the Flower Avenue apartments.

The Duran family requested privacy in a statement released this morning by Henderson police. No family members attended a news conference this afternoon to discuss the abduction or rescue.

The suspects are scheduled for an initial appearance at 9 a.m. Tuesday in Henderson Justice Court.




All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2014 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media


Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.