LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- A surviving victim of a brutal ax attack had plenty to say to her assailant just before he was sentenced Wednesday.
Sandra Castro was extremely emotional as she wept and read a letter aloud through an interpreter, before her son's killer Harold Montague. "He attacked us without mercy. My baby didn't matter to him," she said in court.
"It was a horrific, brutal, senseless almost unimaginable type of killing," said Clark County District attorney Steve Wolfson.
Wolfson says Montague pleaded guilty earlier this year to first degree murder, in an agreement to save him from the death penalty. Now he's facing punishment for the 2010 ax attacks that left four month old infant Damian Castro dead. The attack happened near Maryland and Sahara.
Montague not only killed the baby, but kept swinging the ax at the head of the baby's mother: "...that evil he had in his eyes and that satisfaction that he had. He knew what he was doing," Castro said.
Before this opportunity for Castro to pour out her heart and pain, Montague also had a few words to say: "I am so sorry for what happened. I am not the same person that did that. I'm very remorseful," Montague said in court.
Judge Stephany Miley sentenced Montague. "The court sentences you to life without the possibility of parole..." Miley said. With other charges, Montague will be serving life plus 40 to 100 years.
"I think justice is served. This is a man who committed an extremely brutal act and should never see the streets again, so by him not ever having a chance to be released from prison I think in balance, justice was served," Wolfson said.
Montague will now be processed by the Nevada Department of Corrections, and prosecutors say he'll likely be sent to Ely State Prison.