LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3.com) –
The son of embattled Bunkerville rancher Cliven Bundy was allowed to leave the Clark County Detention Center today.
Lance Bundy, 34, was arrested Aug. 4 on an outstanding warrant and booked on charges of criminal contempt and parole violation.
He had been named in a contempt-of-court warrant issued July 8 for failing to appear before a Clark County District Court judge overseeing a drug-diversion program in Las Vegas. He has a felony conviction on 2012 burglary and weapon charges.
Judge Linda Bell said Bundy could be released, but he was ordered to return to court at 9:30 a.m. Aug. 26.
Right after the judge's decision, Cliven Bundy spoke about his hope of his son getting over his painkiller drug addiction. Bundy says his son severely injured his hip during a bad car accident.
"Maybe he has a choice to keep things going,” Cliven Bundy said. “He just got through an operation on his nerves."
The younger Bundy finds himself in all this trouble after missing a mandatory court appearance. Bundy is on a five year probation after pleading guilty to theft of a firearm and burglary.
"I will advise him he better pay attention to what he is doing here,” the elder Bundy said. “Stay tuned with the court and law."
Cliven Bundy said his son will remain in Las Vegas after he is released from the Detention Center.
Bundy has been in the national spotlight since early April after a confrontation with the Bureau of Land Management stemming from Bundy’s refusal to pay federal grazing fees and the agency’s attempt to take his cattle.The Associated Press contributed to this report.