LAS VEGAS -- Two people were taken to the hospital with minor smoke inhalation after their home caught fire just after noon Thursday.
The American Red Cross is assisting three adults that live in the house.
Fire dispatchers received a 9-1-1 call from the occupants of the house at 3013 Merritt Avenue (Sahara/Rancho) at 12:03 p.m. stating that they believed their attic was on fire and it might be electrical in origin. Dispatchers advised them to evacuate the house and wait for firefighters.
When firefighters arrived, flames and smoke was showing from the attic vents of a one story wood frame house. Firefighters found the fire was in the attic. It took about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control. They were slightly hampered by brisk breezes and because of the old type construction in the house.
The fire gutted the attic and it heavily damaged the roof. Damage was estimated at $125,000.
The occupants told fire investigators at the hospital that when they turned on the clothes dryer in the house, they heard a loud pop in the attic and then smelled smoke. When they opened a scuttle door to the attic to see, they found the attic full of smoke.
Fire investigators determined the fire started in the attic and appeared to be electrical in origin.