MESQUITE (KSNV MyNews3.com & AP) – Rescuers say they had to use advanced life support techniques to save a man who was stung by bees 20-30 times in Mesquite.
Captain John Gately of Mesquite Fire and Rescue says firefighters were called to help the man about noon on Thursday.
According to a news release, Mesquite Fire Rescue and Animal Control units were dispatched just before noon to the 200 block of West Pioneer for a person stung multiple times by bees.
The victim initially appeared stable despite having been stung 20 to 30 times. The patient’s condition suddenly began to deteriorate, requiring the paramedics on Rescue 11 to initiate Advanced Life Support interventions to keep the patient from advancing to anaphylactic shock.
The victim was transported to Mesa View Hospital and arrived in stable condition.
Animal Control Officers wearing bee suits were able to locate multiple areas approximately 200 feet behind the store and along the freeway exit with concentrations of bees in bushes but were not able to locate an actual hive.
Fire Capt. John Gately, in full fire protective gear, utilized Compressed Air Foam from Engine 11 to neutralize the hundreds of bees and make the area safe.
Rescuers say they had to use lifesaving techniques to keep the man from going into anaphylactic shock.
He was taken to Mesa View Regional Hospital and was later listed in stable condition.
Animal control officers wearing protective suits found swarms of bees in bushes near a freeway and used foam to clear them from the area.