Biography of Rory Reid
Rory Reid is currently a partner at Lionel Sawyer & Collins, Nevada's largest law firm. He was recently listed in "Best Lawyers", a national publication.
Rory was raised in Southern Nevada and educated in its public schools. He has been active as a business and civic leader in his community.
Prior to his work at Lionel Sawyer, Rory was Senior Vice President and General Counsel of a local company. He worked on Capitol Hill as a legislative aide. He also served as Chairman of the Nevada Democratic Party, a member of the Democratic National Committee and on the boards of several civic organizations.
Rory was elected to the Board of Clark County Commissioners in 2002. The Clark County Commission has jurisdiction over the Las Vegas Strip and an area covering the size of New Jersey. Clark County is the nation's 14th largest county and provides extensive regional services to more than 2 million citizens and 40 million visitors a year. Included are the nation's 7th busiest airport, air quality compliance, social services and Nevada's largest public hospital, University Medical Center.
After just two years of service, Rory's leadership skills were recognized with his appointment as Commission Chairman, first in 2005 and again in 2007. During his tenure, Rory championed economic development, ethics reform, open government, and improved social services. The Las Vegas Review Journal named him its "Best Local Politician" in 2007. Las Vegas Life Magazine named him its "Best Up and Coming Politician". Rory has received numerous other awards acknowledging his public service.
In 2010, Rory was the Democratic nominee for Governor of Nevada.
In 2011, Rory was appointed Adjunct Professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas where he teaches a Master's Degree course in public administration.
Rory's professional and civic affiliations include:
- Chairman, Clark County Board of Commissioners
- Chair, Nevada State Democratic Party
- Member, Democratic National Committee
- Member, Clark County Citizens Committee on Efficiency in Government
- Legislative Aide to California Congressman Matthew Martinez
- Co-Founder, Nevadans for Public Awareness
- Vice Chair, Nevada Taxicab Authority
- Board Member, Clark County Public Education Foundation
- Advisory Board, Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth
- Board of Trustees, Clark County Water Reclamation District
- Board of Trustees, Big Bend Water District
- Board of Trustees, Kyle Canyon Water District
- President, Las Vegas Valley Water District
- Chairman, Clark County Liquor and Gaming Licensing Board
- Member, Metropolitan Police Committee on Fiscal Affairs
- Member, Regional Jail Commission
- Vice Chair, Southern Nevada Health District
- Vice Chair, Southern Nevada Water Authority
- Member, Nevada State Bar
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
Rory and his wife Cindy are the proud parents of three children.