LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3.com) -- Smoking might have been the cause of a garage fire that displaced four people Thursday afternoon in the northwest part of the valley.
Las Vegas firefighters responded to a garage fire in a three-story house at 10604 Blanca Peak Avenue (Cheyenne/215) at 2:13 p.m.
Fire dispatchers received several calls that the garage was on fire in the house.
When firefighters arrived on scene, smoke was showing from the garage. They found the main body of fire in a corner of the garage by the front door. They had the fire out in a few minutes.
Damage was confined to the garage. There was no damage to the interior of the home. Damage was estimated at $10,000.
Two people were home at the time of the fire. They said the smoke alarm activated and they went around the house looking why the alarm went off. When they opened the door to the garage they found it full of black smoke. They escaped without injury.
The cause of the fire is undetermined, fire investigators could not rule out the possibility of careless smoking. One of the occupants was smoking in the garage about an hour earlier. Smoking material was found in the area where the fire started.
No one was injured during the incident. The American Red Cross is assisting three adults and one child that live in the home.
Smoking in the garage is a common practice in many households as people do not want to smoke inside the living area of the house. But the garage is probably the most dangerous room in the house to be smoking. In addition to a vehicle usually parked in the garage with gasoline and other flammable liquids, common household items are usually found in the garage also such as paints, thinners, propane tanks, gasoline cans, cleaning materials - all kinds of items that give off fumes which can easily ignite. People are strongly encouraged not to smoke in the garage of the home.