LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3.com) -- Las Vegas firefighters fought a house fire and a business fire overnight.
Firefighters first responded to 6380 Violet Blossom Drive (Vegas/Torrey Pines) at 10:08 p.m. Sunday. On arrival smoke was showing from a two story-wood frame/stucco house. Firefighters found the house full of smoke on arrival. When they ascended the stairs to the second floor, they had to stop because part of the stairs were gone.
Firefighters found the fire coming from a closet under the stairs. The fire was quickly put out. The fire was confined to the stairs and closet. The rest of the house had heat and smoke damage. Damage was estimated at $150,000.
Fire investigators determined the fire started in the closet, but was unable to pinpoint the exact cause. They ruled the fire accidental.
No one was injured during the incident. No one was home when the fire started. Occupants came home and when they opened the front door they were met by thick smoke and high heat. At the same time a Metro police unit was passing by, looking for the source of a smoke odor in the neighborhood. When the officer saw the smoke coming out the front door after it was opened, he radioed for assistance from the fire department.
A family of two adults and four children are displaced. They did not want assistance from the American Red Cross.
The second fire was to a downtown business.
Firefighters responded to a small restaurant at 2129 Industrial Road at 3:52 a.m. Monday. On arrival light smoke was showing from a small one-story business.
Fire investigators determined the fire started in a power strip that was resting on a pile of rags. The heat from the power strip must have started the rags on fire. The fire was quickly extinguished. Damage was estimated at $1,500.