LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- Two people are dead and two are in the hospital suffering from burns and smoke inhalation after a fire broke out a home near Fort Apache and 95.
The fatal fire happened on Empire Rock Street on the city's Northwest side.
Flames spread across the home of Warren and Peggy Brown just before midnight Thursday.
"She just happened to turn over on her side facing where the fire was at and saw the house on fire. She didn't smell anything. Nothing woke her up. And she got up, ran, out towards the front of the house," said Peggy's sister, Shirley Johnson.
"At some point, I was drifting off and my wife heard someone pounding at the door and the dog started barking and so she got up to investigate," said next-door neighbor Donald Toto.
Neighbors say Peggy was frantic, and thought her husband Warren was with her and ran back inside to get him. He's much larger than Peggy, but somehow she dragged him out.
"I'm pretty sure it was a super-human strength factor. It could be that he put his arm around her," Toto said.
Unfortunately, her two guests, bests friends of the Brown's according to Peggy's sister, who were visiting from the Memphis area, never made it out. The fire raged out of control, too dangerous even for firefighters.
"The chief says the roof was almost caving in, which meant we couldn't go inside the house and that could jeopardize the firefighters' lives," said Tim Symanski with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.
The roof did cave in, and the two people left inside died. The fire department says with this kind of intense fire, it was probably burning for a long time before it finally appeared and awakened Peggy.
"I just thank God he woke her up because there was no reason. She didn't smell anything. She just changed positions and saw the fire," Johnson said.
No cause on the fire has been determined.
The identities of the two who died have not been released.