LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- The body of a 12-year-old Las Vegas Boy Scout, shot and killed at camp in San Diego last week, is now home.
However, whether William Shook's death was a suicide or an accident remains a mystery.
San Diego police are continuing their investigation, but are withholding any new details, including the 9-1-1 call that may shed some light into what happened.
The police have reported that the 12-year-old was shot with an unregistered handgun at a Boy Scout camp. Police have not said whether he was alone in his tent at the time of the shooting.
Police did release a minute-by-minute timeline.
Dispatchers received the 9-1-1 call about a boy, thought to be 11, who had shot himself in the head at 7:36 a.m., Monday, June 30. Minutes later, more information came in that Shook was clinging to life.
Authorities arrived at the camp on Fiesta Island four minutes after receiving the call. They found a handgun inside the tent. A crisis team was dispatched to Campsite 11 where the shooting occurred to help the boys and adults of Las Vegas Troop 50.
Shook was only weeks away from his 13th birthday, and was shot in his torso, not the head, with an unregistered handgun. Whether he was the one to pull the trigger is speculation until the investigation is concluded. Homicide investigators have suggested the possibility that this could have been an accidental shooting and Shook may not have been alone.
Las Vegas attorney John Momot says he supports the decision by the San Diego's police to withhold information at this time, arguing that with such critical, open-ended questions, it would be irresponsible to let these developments play out in public.
In his obituary, published in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Shook was described as an energetic 12-year-old, a funny kid with a love for cats and reading, and a boy who touched the lives of many. Funeral services were private.