LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) -- The supervisor for Clark County's family court marshals is stepping down amid accusations he choked someone.
Lt. Steve Rushfield had been with the Marshal's Office for more than 20 years.
A District Court spokesperson says he is voluntarily giving up his rank.
District Court established the family division 20 years ago, and there have been numerous incidents and accusations regarding family court personnel over the past few years.
Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak was asked whether these incidents were being overblown.
“Oh no, I don't think it's by any means overblown,” he said. “But I think that whether or not it's good that there's change in leadership. I mean there's good situations and bad situations.
Mary Ann Price, spokeswoman for the District Court, released this statement Tuesday:
“Courthouse visitor safety is a top priority. Family Court marshals are faced with challenging situation each and every day, due to the emotionally charged nature of Family Court matters. Day-in and day-out, the marshals do an excellent job of keeping the facility safe including the courtrooms, the front gate, and the immediate perimeter of the courthouse.
“In 2012, approximately 414,000 people visited the family courthouse safely. When the actions of any District Court employee are called into question, the court immediately responds by conducting a fair, thorough investigation and, upon completion, taking appropriate action.”